22 October, 2005

#9 Guajillo Mead

3 lb guajillo honey
5 oz partially milled organic sugar
tiny pinch tannin
pinch nutrient
pinch acid blend
handful of chopped dates and white raisins, unsulphited
two drops liquid pectic enzyme
Lalvin D47 yeast

I added the extra sugar to push the OG up, hopefully past the yeast's tolerance for some residual sweetness.

OG 1.116 (with the dates/raisins it should be higher)

According to the mead calculator the OG should be 1.124. I was careful with the water this time, so I'm not sure why it's that much lower. Anyway, I have heard good things about guajillo honey, so I decided to make an almost show mead. It's not a show mead because I added the dried fruit and nutrient as a nod to D47's nutrient requirements. The raw guajillo honey I sampled was interesting. It was almost clear, a very white honey, but with a strong honey flavor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home