23 October, 2005

#4 Sassafras Metheglyn

I went ahead and racked this one off the sediments because I thought I saw something growing on the surface. It turns out it was nothing, thankfully. I did an SG reading and tasted it and it had burnt through the honey down to .995. I can't taste any sassafras, just a vague bitter/herbal undertone. I can taste the honey. I added another couple of ounces of wildflower honey and will probably add more in the future. I'll age this with sassafrass teabags after next racking, I think. It's already starting to clear and is golden pale, with a bare hint of orange.

Note: My OG reading (1.15) was definitely way off. I took it after the mead was bubbling, I believe, so the gas pushed up the hydrometer significantly. I know D47 can get up to 16% alcohol, but not 18%.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home