24 December, 2005

#14 Cara Cara Orange Wine

I was going to make blood orange wine, but when I went to the store I discovered that they'd raised the prices on the blood oranges and the new shipment consisted of very small, very hard fruits. On sale, though, were Cara Cara oranges. They're big, juicy navel oranges that are the color of raspberries or ruby red grapefruit inside. Meyer lemons are a cross between lemons and oranges.

juice of 8 Cara Cara oranges (approx 40 oz)
juice of 1/2 Meyer lemon
zest of both lemon and orange
a handful of white unsulfited raisins
a few slivers of fresh ginger
organic evaporated cane juice
a little yeast nutrient
water to a gallon
Pasteur Red yeast

OG 1.125

I used the Pasteur Red because I read that it's good for fruit wines. The color of the juice was a little redder/pinker than typical orange juice, but I don't think that will carry through the fermentation process. I got a little carried away in adding the sugar, too. I maybe should have kept this one dry, but we'll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home