11 November, 2005

#7 Blueberry Lavender Melomel

Activity had slowed to one bubble in the airlock every 60 seconds, so I decided to sample and rack. The SG was well under 1.00. I lost more than I'd like during racking when my hand slipped. The sample tasted pretty good after I let it stand a minute or two. It's very fragrant, the lavender is immediately present. The fermented blueberry taste is obvious and the honey is overpowered right now. I added six ounces of wildflower honey, two ounces of organic sugar (evaporated cane juice), and topped with straight blueberry juice (Knudsen's). The color is lovely, a deep purple.

I thought that vanilla would add a lot to the other flavors, so I split a bean and added it. I went outside and picked a couple sprigs of rosemary and replaced the old one.

By my calculations, the honey, sugar, and blueberry juice I added would have made the OG up to 1.134. I think next week I'll add 2 more ounces of sugar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home