05 November, 2005

misc (#6, #1, #10)

I did an SG reading of the pomegranate wine. It's at 1.05, which is still very sweet. I'm going to wait another week to rack it. It's just starting to drop clear. It tastes completely different from the pom mead, which is probably isn't the honey quite so much as the yeast. The wine is CĂ´tes des Blancs and the mead is D47. There's some tartness, but it's really cloying more than anything else. I'll just wait on it.

I drew out a tiny sample of the Rose Vanilla mead. Oh my. I used champagne yeast, because I didn't know any better. It's very, very dry and hot. There is some rose presence, but there's a bitterness too. No vanilla whatsoever. Next time I rack it, I'll add a bean. The color is pretty, though. Amber/brown/rose.

I took an SG reading of the acerglyn. 1.09. It might be lower because of the bubbles pushing up the hydrometer. It's pretty foamy.

I think I'm going to do a buckwheat show mead next. Buckwheat has just enough nutrients, I think, for a K1V to do it.

I took a look at the cyser and sassafras metheglyn. Both were pretty clear. The cyser is nice and gold, the sassafras red-gold. I had saved some of the cyser that wouldn't fit in the gallon jug in the fridge, then found a tiny glass jug (10 oz) and put it in that with an airlock. It's cute, a little mini-mead. I'll use it to top off next time I rack.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home