14 February, 2006

Mass Racking

#3 Racked. Very tasty. The oak did this one a good turn. Honey and apple are pretty balanced and there is a mid-to-back palate spice. It tastes ready to drink to me.

#2 Racked. Sort of. Godfuckingdammit. I slipped on some water. I saved enough to fill a 50 oz small jug. This one is super dry and very vinous (the raisins I used overpowered the whole thing, I think). I'm not too disappointed, I didn't know what I was doing when I started this one. I'll possibly do another coffee blossom varietal someday, sans raisins.

#1 Racked. I may have, um, overdone the vanilla on this one. It's dry (champagne yeast does that) and floral (the roses) and the aftertaste is straight up, full on VANILLA. No honey presence that I can detect.

#11 Racked. Racking is hard when you only have a gallon to work with. This mead hasn't really cleared as much as I'd like, and there was a layer on top of what looked like proteins or even wax particles from the honey. Trying to rack from under that and over the sediment layer meant more loss than I'm happy about, unfortunately. We'll see. The flavor is good, it's obviously too young to drink, but I can taste that buckwheat honey very clearly, which is nice.

#10 Racked onto heavy toast oak. This one is pretty sweet and still burn-y. I caught the maple and some low, rich, honey tones. This one is about as clear as the buckwheat show mead, which is to say, not so much.

#6 Racked. Sweet, tart, tangy, very pomegranate-y. Good stuff.

#12 Racked. Warm, spicy. Ginger and saffron apparent, apple and alcohol dominating. Just a hint of honey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home