25 November, 2005

#9 Guajillo Mead, Mini Cyser

I decided to rack the guajillo mead off its gross lees. There were just so much of them. None of the other meads I'm doing threw down sediments this thick. I'm guessing the honey itself, being raw/unfiltered, had some wax and other things in it. When my fridge is less full, I'll put it in the cold a time. I had the sweetness exactly where I wanted it, so I decided to rack onto sorbate. I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not. I read that premature sorbating could produce a nasty geranium character, so I decided to use sulfites just one more time (my partner probably wouldn't drink a straight traditional mead anyway, he is more partial to fruity stuff). During racking, I got a tiny bit of the lees in the tube, I think. Or I just may have disturbed the lees a little while moving it to the sink to rack. I held the jug up to the light to see how close the newly racked mead is to clear and I saw some particles in suspension. That's okay, it'll drop out before too long. Due to the thickness of the lees, I did lose a bit of mead in the process, I just hope there's not too much headspace. Anyway, I worry too much.

So I put a tiny bit of sorbate in the mini cyser and it's been in the fridge. It cleared more (though there is still a little haze). I should have racked it onto sorbate, but I didn't think about it. So I racked it today onto a tiny bit of clover honey and water to sweeten it. The flavor when I sampled it was more apple than honey, so I hope this balances it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home